Confession: I don’t like a CAPSULE WARDROBE!


 

I don’t like a CAPSULE WARDROBE! 

 

The Style Concept of the 21st century!

 

 

Paging, scrolling, reading, and watching through media, the Capsule Wardrobe Concept or System is sold to us everywhere. 

It seems to be the dream, hope, goal and challenge of all women with styling and dressing issues and everyone who suffers from an out-of-control wardrobe.

 

 

Now, I have to admit: after more than two decades in the Style business, having been trained by and involved in different style teachings from different countries, I am puzzled. They never taught me this concept per se.

 

I hear you ask: ”But if all fashionistas and aficionados use this trendy concept, surely it must be the ultimate in wardrobe planning?  It must be the holy grail of systems to make everybody’s life easier,more stylish and save time and money. The ultimate wardrobe makeover and lifestyle concept for ever. ”

Of course you’re right! Everything mentioned is exactly what I have stand for and sold for many years. 

 

But I don’t really grasp the noise about the capsule concept. Do I miss some magic?

 

I studied the thought behind The Capsule and here’s some guidelines I found: 

 

1.   The concept

 

·      It is a collection of items you wear a lot, that can be mixed and matched, dressed up or down, be styled and coordinate in creative manners and  give you confidence. 

 I like this.

·       It will allow you to get dressed and shop more easily, while spending less money

 Yes, I stand for that

·      It sometimes suggests a number of items, anything between 20 and 40 or 80. 

 No, I don’t count food, and I also don’t count my clothes.

·      It should reflect your personal style, i.e. lifestyle and personality. 

 Definitely, thumbs up. But what if I don’t like a limiting, bland and boring style?

·      If it works well, the capsule helps to curate and organize your wardrobe. 

 Yes, this is where saving time and less frustration is at work.

 

What a system! That’s what people usually pay me for to help them create, curate and customize their wardrobes.

 

2.   The How to.

 

You can easily DIY the capsule by googling: How to build a capsule wardrobe and what should be included.

 

There are often lists with pictures to show exactly what you need to fulfill the goal:  something of the nature of the following wardrobe essentials:

 

·      Lists of suggestions for tops and blouses and sweaters and knitwear and jackets, for skirts and dresses, pants and jeans, and outerware you should include

·      Then: What shoes/bags/jewellery can you add?

·      Next: what you need for a spring/summer/winter/holiday/office capsule.

 

 

 

I don’t really grasp the tag: Capsule Concept. To me this is just MY WARDROBE:  the collection of clothes and accessories I have carefully collected over time to fit my lifestyle and personality, and because I love it, and curated it to make my life easier. 

 

If I have to select only a handful of 20-40 pieces from my existing wardrobe, it would really stress me! I would describe it as boring, bland, a sad wardrobe without personal character, a travel collection, or I would probably misjudge it as my husband’s wardrobe!

 

Sorry, I DON’T COUNT my clothes. But I DO HAVE  the core capsule within my wardrobe: white shirts, jeans, blazers, white sneakers, black boots, a good selection of  handbags,  custom made jewellery for personality…..

 

I would like to hear your viewpoint. Please share with us. 

 

Comments