MOVING HOUSE or COUNTRY : 

Emotional or exciting ?


Packing up and picking up sticks is something that most of us encounter during our lives. 
We may move to a bigger, smaller, or more luxurious house. Or we may possibly move to another city and/ or country.

For some people this is a very emotional event and a sense of lost. 

Others like me may feel it an exciting experience and are curious about what lies ahead. 


My husband and I are now again on that threshold where we have decided to move on to another country after 14 years. He is now retired and nothing keeps us in Scandinavia anymore. During the actual 14 years here, or rather, owning an apartment here, we had the opportunity to move back to South Africa, 1 year in Portugal, back to Sweden and no we are on the brink of retiring in Southern France. 

Moving gets easier. 😉 

Moving necessarily involves a lot of decisions about what to take along for your anticipated 
new lifestyle. 


Here are a number of my personal guidelines I keep in mind when making these difficult decisions.


Living beautifully


It's important to me to make my new surroundings as beautiful as possible. For me, it's part of well-being, both mental and emotional well- being and care. 
However, you may have a different idea of ​​what your beautiful world looks like, because it’s in the eye of the beholder.

Pick the things that touch YOUR spirit.

Comfort

Comfort is important to me, but it also varies from person to person. Again, only you can decide what comfort and wellbeing will look at your new address. Don’t compete with anyone, competion is stressful.

Valuables


A few years back with our first move abroad , I 
had no system, plan or idea of making decisions about what to leave behind! I was just confused while being confronted with all our belongings all over the house. And being the “estate manager” of our family home, it felt to me that most decisions were up to my discretion
 
I got the idea of setting up my own criteria system.


I broadly categorized everything that define ‘Valuable’ to me into three groups: 
This is applicable to homeware, linens, my wardrobe, everything.

I want to share this with you and I hope it will be helpful whenever you may need it. 


1. I find great joy when I feel an item of good quality under my fingers
2. I also appreciate and find energy in artistic creations
3. And I love anything 
that tells a story. Aka,  sentimental things.

QUALITY



How do you feel quality with your hands?

For me, the feeling of quality mostly lies in natural materials. Natural substances have a liveliness that makes me feel good.
The luxurious feeling of a slippery silk scarf or silk blouse against my body, as well as a light, thin, real wool sweater or cashmere winter scarf, the softness of a mohair blanket that I pull up to under my chin, a coarsely woven linen tablecloth with a attitude draping over my specially set table, a leather product that feels almost warm underhand versus the chilly, dead feel of a similar faux leather product, or the graininess of real pearls.
These are the things that I want to keep close to me and that move with me, from here to the other side of the world. It's also the stuff that my children and grandchildren can inherit.




ART


I value an art creation.

A beautiful handmade piece of jewelry, a heavy blown glass ornament, a real painting with thick brushstrokes on it, a cool, smooth, hand-carved stone ornament from somewhere in Africa, raggy cotton crochet doilies, my iconic, heavyweight, pewter functional art -pieces for me a special luxury with every use.
I also consider inspirational memory books to be art. The kind of book that spoke to me when I read it and who I haven't finished talking to. They are not going anywhere.



STORIES

Third, things that tell stories. It's the stuff I'll always remember about where it came from, when and why I bought it, and maybe even who was with me. Or of course the things that were gifted or made by someone special. Anything that speaks to ME, even if it doesn't necessarily speak to you.
Is this the stuff one describes as sentimental? Well, I call it my story stuff.



I hope I was able to help you unravel and make easier the big emotional mountain of packing that lies before you.

Deciding what goes together is step one of Project Trek.

.

Comments